Big Lift schedule update
(Dartmouth, N.S.) Halifax Harbour Bridges (HHB) advises the travelling public that, weather permitting,
deck segment replacement on the Macdonald Bridge should be complete by the end of February.
“The contractor is replacing segments on the Halifax side span, which is over DND property. It is
significantly more complicated than when working over water and is greatly affected by high winds,”
explains Jon Eppell, HHB project manager for the Big Lift.
Sidewalk and bike lane
The sidewalk and bike lane are now scheduled to reopen late March 2017.
Approximately four weeks of work is required to be able to open the walk and bike lanes once segment replacement is complete. Some of the work that needs to take place includes: complete deck segment replacement, weld the joints between the segments, install sidewalk and bike lane pieces around the towers and complete the
The HHB shuttle service will continue to operate until the sidewalk and bikeway reopens. “We acknowledge the patience of pedestrians and cyclists throughout the project and appreciate that they are eager to return to
walking or biking across the bridge,” says Steve Snider, HHB general manager and CEO. “We are just as
eager, and if possible, we will open the sidewalk and bike lane sooner – as soon as it is safe to do so.”
· Weekend closures will continue until segment replacement is complete
· Full weekend closures will end once all segments are replaced, with the exception of
approximately four in 2017
· Overnight closures 7:00pm – 5:30am Sunday-Thursday will continue until project completion
The project is still on schedule to be complete by the fall of 2017
The remaining milestones for the Big Lift include:
• Finish paving the Halifax side span – Spring 2017
• Replace expansion joints – Summer 2017
• Dehumidification of the main cables – Fall 2017
• Project completion – Fall 2017
(This overall schedule is current as of January 30th/2017. The number of segments replaced, is updated each week as needed.)